The full report from the Diversity Council Australia
We thought we’d share the DCA’s findings on paid parental leave and flexible working conditions. Here’s the full report.
- Paid parental leave policy – 91% of members had a policy to provide paid parental leave.
- Length of paid parental leave – 14 weeks was the average length of paid parental leave (i.e. for primary carers).
- Parental leave return rate – 89% was the average return rate for members.
- Eligibility for salary review while on parental leave – 59% of members’ policies stated that employees on parental leave were eligible for a salary review whilst on leave.
- Provision of flexible work:
- 96% offered part-time/reduced hours
- 91% flexible start and finish times (regular and ongoing, not ad hoc).
- 80% extended unpaid leave/career break
- 80% flexible work arrangements during the early weeks for settling young children into child care
- 77% telecommuting or home-based work (regular and ongoing, not ad hoc).
- 73% access annual leave in single day periods or part days
- 70% job share.
- The most generous paid parental leave was up to 52 weeks paid leave: 12 weeks leave provided at full pay and up to 40 weeks paid at 0.60 of salary for the primary carer.
- 10% of DCA members made employer superannuation contributions to employees on unpaid parental leave.
- In the case of employee couples, some organisations recognise that families want to be able to swap the primary carer role between parents at different times:
- 23% allowed parents to share the one paid parental leave period (e.g. they share the 12 weeks paid parental leave period, each taking 6 weeks leave), provided they do not take leave concurrently, and each is the primary caregiver for the time they are on leave.
- 14% allowed parents to each take their own paid parental leave period (e.g. 12 weeks paid parental leave each), provided they are the primary caregiver at that time and leave is not taken concurrently.
- 11% allowed parents to share the one paid parental leave period (e.g. they share the 12 weeks paid parental leave period, each taking 6 weeks leave) and take overlapping periods of leave.